Friday, March 8, 2013

The Day it "Graupled" in the Valley

    We've been blessed with so much rain here during this past year. I certainly love it and wish to run around outside every time. Well except for today since it's hailed and really poured. But on February 20th, it was amazing. The week had already been cold so that afternoon I watched the rainfall to see hail coming down! I loved watching the little white balls bounce off the ground and slowly paint a white scenery. I even took a picture when Zach, my youngest brother, started freaking out that it was snowing. I had to share that funny moment with my best friend Jessica since we lived in Colorado together as little girls.
My mom's backyard

But then my friends and my Facebook filled up with people excited about the snow... It bothered me to hear people think that it was snow. In retrospect I could've been nicer and let everyone enjoy the whiteness that abounded the valley. Instead I was slightly relentless and annoying like Sheldon on 'The Big Bang Theory.' The scientists had to prove us all wrong though, even me, by declaring the little white balls 'grauple.' Grauple is hail covered with snow.. So we were all wrong but all right too.
    That night I reminisced about playing in the fluffy white snow. I remembered watching the tiny little flakes float down, trying to catch one on my tongue. The snowflakes would melt on my skin and stick in my hair as I stood there with my mouth open wide [ah ah ah ah, ah ah ah, ah ah ah...]. I even remembered throwing it up in the air just to watch the powder fly everywhere. Then I realized that the snow was sometimes slushy, sticky, or came down quickly [blizzards] instead of always soft powdery flakes. But the powdered snow was my favorite. That's when I realized that I should've enjoyed our 'grauple' a little more than I did. I just missed my snow... One day I'll go visit the snow and make sure that my kids will know what a snowflake looks like as it falls down. The grauple was great but that day I wanted my memory of snow:
Not my picture, but my friend Jessica is in it

2 comments:

  1. Nobody here likes it when it snows. They are always shocked when I tell them I don't want the snow to melt. Then they are more shocked when I tell them I'm from Arizona, as if being from the desert should make me a cold-blooded animal that NEEDS the heat.

    I like the snow though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will definitely see snow again someday, and when you do, I hope I am there to play in it with you and your AMAZING family!! I CANNOT WAIT to see you in May!!!

    ReplyDelete