It's a panda! I love that the nebulizer is 'child-friendly'
Holding the mask while watching VeggieTales.
This only lasted a couple minutes, but he didn't fight it :)
Half an hour later he was wheezing horribly again... We had to send our friends off and rushed off to the ER. The doctor heard some crackling in one of his lungs so he put in various orders including an x-ray. A respiratory therapist came in to do a 'continuous breathing treatment'. It was supposed to last for an hour but the medicine was gone in half an hour. It really helped him open up and breathe better... for an hour. The ER doctor thought that he saw the start of pneumonia on the x-ray, especially when factoring in the fever he apparently had and that the breathing treatment didn't work. He decided to admit Spencer mostly because the continuous breathing treatment didn't work even though it should have. Lab work, iv's, medicine, and a regular breathing treatment were started up all during the time that we waited for his room to be ready. We all were able to finally crash for the night around 11pm but were in for a fairly restless night.
He was so tired... It was relieving to see him sleeping.
The hospital stay felt long, tiring, and miserable. Fortunately it served its purpose and Spencer was able to breathe well by the time he was discharged. The overnight stay turned into two nights based solely on the fact that Spencer was working to breathe still when awake. He only received one more breathing treatment the first night we arrived and that was it. Part of that was because the diagnosis was changed to 'bronchilitis' since the x-ray actually showed snot in Spencer's lungs, not bacteria starting to grow. All in all, it's the same little bug that he had all along. It just was quiet for a few days before bothering him again. One of the things that helped to cheer us all up was that Spencer got a new blanket to take home. He loves it too! It turns out that there's an organization that donates blankets to children who're hospitalized as a way to give them an extra hug. I was instantly intrigued and checked out the website: http://www.projectlinus.org/ My mom and I have decided that we'll throw in a blanket every now and then with fabric from our stashes [especially since size and make doesn't matter].
He closed his eyes just for the pictures..
It was hard to keep him from getting tangled up in everything!
Disconnected and ready to play/go home!
This is his new blanket that he loves.
Once we were home, everything went into the wash and I got busy disinfecting toys and books [with my mom's help]. Tim's cough got pretty bad and then Tim decided to get pink eye as well... I fortunately was able to get really good sleep for one night before Tim could no longer help and needed my loving attention as well. Thursday I was in desperate need of a nap so I packed up Spencer to go to my mom's for most of the day. I also learned that his friend, Isabelle, probably caught his sicky germs and was not doing well. I felt so bad about that. I was able to take a small nap at my mom's house. We also sneaked in a trip to the fabric store plus lunch at Rubio's. I now have girly fabric to make something for Lily! Plus a few other fun projects to add to my list. I can now say that Tim is all better, has let me rest [he will testify as to how much I've needed it], and Spencer is almost there. We are considering having him tested for allergies though to find out exactly what all he's allergic to in case we're missing something that's causing all of this. Is our turn over yet? Haha...






Hope he is completely better!!! Belle is still sick ugh. I hope it passes quickly!!! Love you guys!!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, talk about a stressful week! I'm glad you were able to get rest and that everyone is feeling better.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Spencer's face in that second hospital picture, with his little lopsided grin and closed eyes. So cute.
I love that one too :) He's such a ham at times. And it's great to be over all of the sickies for real now.
DeleteGoodness, sickie kids are just so sad! I hope he gets past this quickly and has a long run of non-sickies! So happy you finally got your much needed rest. Someday no one will be sick and we can all get together again :)
ReplyDelete