The night that I got my positive test gave me a shock. I was only two weeks into my cycle and had taken the test just for kicks during a boring weeknight. But the positive was there! I tested again in the morning and it was still positive. I tested a lot over the next few days out of shock and disbelief due to how early I got my positive! Plus it did not cooperate with the dream I had had. After discussing the events with my midwife she told me that I probably was further along or was carrying twins. Now I was in cloud nine thinking that I might possibly have twins! I bought the test with the weeks estimator because I felt so sure that I wasn't further along. That test estimated that I was 4-5 weeks pregnant due to the hormone levels. I was excited and scheduled my ultrasound to check which of the two it was. I certainly hoped for twins. We told our immediate family that weekend because we didn't want to keep it a secret any more!
| First positive |
| Two more since I wasn't convinced |
| 2-3 is estimated weeks since ovulation which means estimated 4-5 weeks pregnant |
Four days later, last Monday, I woke up early in the morning to use the bathroom. I discovered that I was bleeding, a lot. "No... No, no, no, no, no," was all I could say at first. Tears ran down my face as I reached for the pads and got clean underwear. Memories started to flood my mind: my first miscarriage, the excitement I had upon learning I was pregnant, that sinking feeling that warned me about this event... Lily's screams started to be heard on the baby monitor which sat on our dresser. I quickly got dressed so that I could go comfort her back to sleep. She fell back asleep quickly as I rocked her. But I sat there, rocking my baby who's here with me now, and just cried for several minutes. I finally got up to place her in bed so that I could try to rest a little more. As I curled up next to Tim again I sobbed enough that he woke up. "What's wrong?" he asked. "I'm miscarrying again."
The rest of Monday was easy. I knew that nothing could be done to stop the miscarriage. I knew that this was God's plan though I didn't know why. I also knew that there would eventually be more babies with us here on Earth for longer. The kids and I enjoyed movie days while I rested and monitored myself to make sure I didn't need to go in for medical treatment. This time I knew that I didn't need anyone to tell me that I likely was miscarrying. I already knew that. I had already done this. I knew that 'likely miscarriage' would be the diagnosis they'd charge hundreds of dollars for. I remembered the instructions of 'schedule a follow up in a few days or return if it gets worse' so I stuck to that. Fortunately I did not need to go in. I was blessed that my body was able to miscarry safely on its own... I even took another pregnancy test a few days in and felt the horrible, sinking confirmation as I saw the negative result.
I had friends bring me ice cream, let me come over so that I wasn't home 'alone,' give me hugs, let me know that it wasn't fair, call me, and let me talk about it. I loved having the support. I also appreciated the space I sometimes had. I never knew what to tell people who said "Let me know if there's anything we can do."
Tuesday was when the reality set in. The emotions consumed me and I let them. They were ten times more than my first miscarriage. I wondered if I never let myself work through losing my first baby... But I knew that I needed to let the emotions come, respect them, and understand them. The nights were the hardest since Tim was at work and the children were asleep. I was alone and not distracted. One morning I just wanted to stay in bed. My heart hurt too much. That morning I knew that with all of the support I had, I still could not turn to them for the hurt that was going on inside. It was too great for me and nothing that they'd had. I turned to the Lord. I cried while I prayed and told Him everything. Each prayer was met with peace and reassurance. Then I slowly gained the answers and comfort I needed.
When I cry, it's because I miss my babies. I do not know if it's two or three up there. I do not know their genders or which names to give them. But Heavenly Father does. I will someday. I do not know what they need to accomplish up there right now. I do not know why their time on Earth was so small. But I know that they are part of my forever family. I know that they are where they are needed and I am where I am needed. I know that in the grand scheme of things this time apart is very small, even if it is more than I had imagined. I know that there are many sad, evil things on Earth that will not touch them. I know that I will see and hold them again. There will be one day when I can look back and understand.




My best friend just lost her baby 6 weeks ago at 37 weeks. Sweet little Eva. She is devastated right now and I so desperately want to know how to help her. Eva was her first baby. It is good for me to hear your story, it gives some more insight to how she might be feeling. I read a book shortly after she lost Eva. Called "Gone to soon". You should read it. It is an emotional read but a good one. I am so sorry for your loss. You are such a wonderful mother and those special little spirits are lucky to be apart of your family. I love you!
ReplyDeleteYou are so strong and all your babies are so lucky to have you as their Momma. We love you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the kind words you both! And Natalee, I'm so sorry about your friend. That is rough. My heart goes out to her. I'll have to look up that book since it sounds interesting. I'm happy that I'm not crying as much now since life goes on...
ReplyDelete