Saturday night, August 3rd, I tried to go to bed early in hopes of avoiding another night of insomnia. Yet again my drowsiness suddenly vanished at 10pm so I wandered over to Tim for sympathy. Instead I got to watch Netflix for a little while before Tim was ready to go to bed. He did end up snuggling with me because he loves me. We finally were settling in for the night around 2am [when he usually starts getting ready for bed after work] and Spencer woke up crying. i grabbed his cup on the way to his room. As I picked him up a contraction started. That was definitely an odd time haha. I ended up squatting while holding him and stuck him back in bed right afterwards. He happily went back to bed so I headed back to our room. Another contraction hit me a couple minutes after climbing into bed. You would think that I'd be super excited right away, but throughout the week I had several instances of contractions starting but being irregular and dying off after an hour or two. While hopeful I thought that it'd be best to just go to sleep and wait to wake up to more contractions or nothing.
Suddenly the thought hit me that I could stay up and see if I could encourage the contractions to stick around. Technically it wouldn't have mattered if it wasn't time [I witnessed that earlier in the week] but the thought made me feel better. I used some acupressure points and went through my yoga birthing sequence. After 45 minutes I realized that the contractions kept coming and were about 5 minutes apart! I woke Tim up once it got to an hour especially because they were then coming a little closer together and lasting a little longer. I knew this was it! Tim asked for another half hour of sleep. I told him no because we knew that I was already at least 4cm dilated and 80% effaced since that's where I was at my appointment on Tuesday. We still had to finish packing bags, drop Spencer off, and get to the hospital. Spencer was so happy and excited to go spend the rest of the night at Grandma's house. He happily sent us on our way to have his baby sister!
We got to the hospital around 4:15am and I was at 6cm! I was quickly admitted and got my saline lock iv. I really wanted to go 'all natural' this time around and the nurses were happy to support me. In fact they were slightly shocked that I was at 6cm since I was happy and talkative. I was just so excited that we would finally get to meet our little girl!! Knowing that I was already at 6cm boosted my confidence since this is the downhill side of labor. I decided to not even pre-sign the consent form for an epidural. This time I had prepared lots [I honestly read about every book out there which I thought would be helpful] and found a groove that was working for me. I still felt the contractions but was able to relax and let my body do its work. Being more relaxed made a stark contrast to my labor with Spencer when I would tense and fight the contractions which amplified the pain.
So much paperwork
Walking the halls with my
"It's baby day!" face
Ready for baby Lily!
Middle of a contraction on the birth ball
I switched which side I was lying on for the peanut ball. A few minutes later back labor started. Oh was it evil!! Tim was quick to react and kept constant pressure wherever I asked on my back. Those contractions were difficult. I ended up shaking constantly and resorted to self-talk to keep my doubts at bay. At one point I even told Tim, "I hate you right now. But I really do love you." Stephanie encouraged me, saying that this was a good sign that labor should be progressing again. The back labor must be there because she was facing the wrong way and is finally turning. I remember that during this time I even asked Tim if I could have In-N-Out if they were still open when she was finally born. He promised me that I could have whatever I wanted once she was here because I was doing amazingly. After a short while they decided to give me a break and let me switch sides. The back labor stopped and my contractions died down so I asked to be go back to my other side. After 8 hours [yes, 8 hours!] of being 8cm dilated, I finally made it to 9cm! However it was taking awhile to get past the 9cm mark.
Me dealing with back labor. Tim wasn't away
for very long since this was between contractions
and still hurt like crazy.
Dr. Tutt came into the room in less than a minute and I was allowed to go. The contractions felt much stronger and painful which I am sure was largely due to the pitocin and possibly also due to being tired. I remembered reading about women being able to 'breathe the baby down' which had sounded like something I wanted to try. Well I will admit that what I felt made me much more encouraged to push than to ride the contractions out. I knew the end was finally in sight. With each contraction I pushed as long and hard as I possibly could. Each contraction started with a somewhat calm, determined push. Each subsequent push involved me screaming, really loudly. I felt like I was 'stuck between a rock and a hard place' because the contractions were so bad and relieved by pushing but while pushing I could feel my skin stretching and tearing. Within three contractions my little girl made her way down the birth canal and out of me. When her head was out the doctor and nurses told me to look at my baby. I tried to look down and see but my belly was too big. When I told them that I couldn't see they lifted her head and I responded, "I can't see!".
Once she was out, at 6:30pm exactly, I saw her then purple little body and knew she was our baby even though she looked different from Spencer [seems silly but that's what I thought]. The pain was far from my mind and I knew that she was completely worth that short-lived pain. Tim almost started to cry out of happiness and pride. I quickly reached for her and immediately starting talking to her. I was amazed at how quickly she calmed down on my chest. Once she knew that I was holding her she laid her head down and stopped crying. Everything quickly became a blur and I was focused on my Lily. I quickly whispered about how I had been upset that she took so long but that she's already forgiven and I love her so much. Tim was able to cut her cord and was asking to hold her. I thought about it but never did give her up at that point. I remember that Stephanie quickly made Tim order dinner for me from the cafeteria since they were getting ready to close. Dr. Tutt was stitching up my tear for awhile but I don't remember much more than getting numbed. At some point I also decided to see if Lily wanted to eat and she latched on right away. I also remember my nurse commenting that she must have been facing the wrong way for awhile since there's a small bruise on her face. I remember gazing at Lily's black hair, pointing out her daddy's eyes and hair, and double checking her feet myself.
Falling in love with my Lily
One hour after she was born the nurses were asking if I was ready for her to get her bath and eye drops but Tim was still out getting his food so I said to wait. They were a little annoyed because there's something that is typically done by one hour after birth but they also couldn't force me to do it right then and there. Once Tim got back I let him carry her over for her weight, height, bath... She weighed in at 6lbs 7oz and was 19in tall. If she had waited for her due date then she very well may have been the exact same as Spencer [6lbs 14oz 19.25in]! Lily is perfectly healthy with no birth defects to report. All of us are in love!
Official scale reading
Getting all cleaned up
Her hair still was covered with vernix
after two washings!!
I can't help but love her












You are AMAZING. I am so happy for your beautiful growing family. You little ones are so lucky to have such a determined and dedicated Mommy.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful girl! You done good Adriana.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful baby. I can't wait to meet her in October!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you wrote the whole story, it's great to have for yourself.
What a wonderful story! I must admit there were spots that took me back to my labor and delivery with Veja...back labor SUCKS! She certainly is beautiful! Good work mommy! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
ReplyDeleteDanae - I went back and read your story with Veja. There are some similarities. Your little girls are so cute :)
So I read this again now that I'm more "educated" (finished my prenatal classes on Tuesday) so I know more what all of it means. In the end, I still don't know what to say except that you are awesome and I'm glad you have this all written down for yourself. :) Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteSo I read this again now that I'm more "educated" (finished my prenatal classes on Tuesday) so I know more what all of it means. In the end, I still don't know what to say except that you are awesome and I'm glad you have this all written down for yourself. :) Congratulations!
ReplyDelete