When Spencer was born, the baby nurse told Tim and me that his left foot seemed to be turned in a little bit and to make sure the pediatrician looked at it. I hadn't noticed during the time that he was being cleaned up on my belly so I thought nothing of it. When I got to hold him again for skin to skin time I took a look. His foot was more than just a little turned in. Spencer could have his foot rest on his bottom just by bending his knee. His other leg could easily be scratched by his toes just from moving around. The next day, the pediatrician explained to us that he has a type of clubfoot. We then learned more about the probable treatment and got referrals to a couple pediatric orthopedic surgeons. The good news is that it was probably from the way Spencer was positioned inside of the womb since it's only the one foot. When both feet are clubbed then there's usually more of a genetic tie. Looking at Spencer's foot made me sad while we were in the hospital but it slowly grew on me (which I think comes from being his mother). Tim was saddened too but was all on board with getting treatment so that our little guy can walk, run, and play sports down the road.
Here his left foot is resting on his bottom, right after birth.
We visited the orthopedic surgeon when Spencer was 5 days old. At that point time felt unreal due to our lack of sleep. Spencer definitely has a clubfoot and the doctor hen told us about the Ponseti method which they use to treat it. For Spencer, he'll get a new cast every week for six weeks. The last casting may also include cutting the achilles tendon and leaving that cast on for three weeks. Fortunately, Spencer's foot is fairly flexible so he may be able to skip having his tendon cut. Once the casting is done, he'll get to wear a brace full-time for a few months (either a total of six or until he's six months... I forget which). The brace is a pair of shoes/sandals that have a bar in between them. He will then be allowed to only wear it while sleeping until he's two or three years old. It sounds like a lot, but the whole process is to ensure that there's no relapse.
Spencer got his first cast put on on Monday, March 26th. I had to bring him in hungry since the process goes a lot smoother for all (especially the moms and babies) when the eating distraction is available. Beforehand, I was really nervous about how he would handle it all. Would he be hungry enough, patient, mad? How would he react to his leg being in a stiff cast? I ended up being more nervous than I really needed to be. He stayed asleep in his carseat (which he hates) until I took him out at the doctor's office even though I knew he was overdue for a feeding. The doctor was running late since he had an emergency to take care of at the hospital next door. Spencer did well with the casting and his least favorite part was them moving and holding his foot. He decided to let them get away with it since he was hungry.
We're all adjusting to his cast. Spencer got mad the first several times that he tried to bring his leg up into the fetal position while cuddling since he couldn't move it. Since then, he has figured out some new ways to snuggle that he likes. I also accidentally got poop on his cast while changing a diaper... Some homemade babylegs leg warmers are helping prevent anymore of that. Spencer wouldn't eat much that first day with the cast. Turns out that the cast made his leg heavy enough that it wasn't comfortable. Once I started using a Boppy pillow that was given to me, he started eating again just like his usual self. Hallelujah! Tim and I are now experts at using weewee teepees. Okay, maybe not experts, but we can at least keep the pee from hitting his clothes and cast now.
The black dot on his toe is to make sure that he doesn't wiggle too far out of his cast. We also get to poke his toes to make sure the circulation is still good.
I'm going to be honest and say that there have been moments of emotional adjustment for me and Tim too. It's normal though because who would wish for their child to be born with any deformities or trials. I've had my “It's just not fair; he's so little” moments... They still hit me. My heart broke the first time Spencer cried because he couldn't cuddle the same way anymore. It wasn't what we had in our “plan” of life. I've even cried over the clothes that he won't be able to wear: footies, things with zippers instead of snaps, cute baby shoes, lots of his socks will go unseen for the first long while. As a dear friend pointed out to me: “You're grieving. It's natural and okay.”
I also see the other side of the situation. Everyone has trials and struggles in their life and this is just one of them for us. The Lord only gives us what we can handle so all of us will be just fine. Spencer is completely healthy and his foot is fixable. This whole process will actually be fairly short lived. He's better off dealing with it now than having surgeries that would leave his foot stiff and painful. Really, there are hundreds of other worse things that could have happened.
Its so sad about his foot, but its good knowing there is a plan and that it will be fixed. Your friend is right, its ok to grieve. You are so strong and have a great husband so this too shall pass. Plus Spencer is such a trooper. Love you
ReplyDeleteThank goodness for Boppy's! I used mine the whole time I was nursing, it got really nice the heavier the baby got, and it let me have my hands free so I didn't get too bored sitting there for so long. Congrats on your little one, he is super cute! I hope the clubfoot gets fixed easily, that can't be fun.
ReplyDeleteI dont know how I missed this post. ((Hugs)) to you both - you guys are great parents and Spencer is lucky to have you. Fingers crossed the casts and everything work the way they should and corrects his foot.
ReplyDelete