Thursday, May 9, 2013

Our Skinny Boy

   Spencer has always been skinny, tiny, light.. We watched his weight for awhile but his pediatrician decided that he was just a skinny boy. He was always gaining, growing, and developing just at his own pace. That at least was the case until this week. We took him in on Monday for breathing problems [again] with a fever. Fortunately he didn't have any infections and we just have to go back to breathing treatments. Well he's only gained 3oz in the past two months. The multiple times that he's been sick certainly haven't helped. That makes Spencer a whopping 16lbs 8oz at almost 14 months old.


    His pediatrician has sent in an order for Spencer to be tested for cystic fibrosis. His tiny weight and breathing problems are two major indicators for cystic fibrosis.. I initially was not worried at all about it since the chances are still slim that he actually has it. Tim and I did some research to understand more about this disease and the sweat test that will be done on Monday. If you want to learn more then visit here since it has lots of accurate information. Apparently this is one disease to not just put into the google search engine.
     Tim and I keep trying to not worry about it but cystic fibrosis is such a scary possibility. I remind myself that it's more likely that his weight and breathing issues stem from allergy problems. That actually runs in the family and he seems to have reacted to a few foods already. We even took some initiative and have an appointment with an allergist set up. Doctors prefer to run this test when there's any possibility of a child having cystic fibrosis because the outcome is better the sooner diagnosis and treatment begins. Plus even if the sweat test comes up positive, there's still a chance that he does not actually have cystic fibrosis. Tim and I are so nervous about this test though. As we get closer to Monday the nervousness sets in more. I am ready to have it over with already and to hear the results. In the meantime we're working on trusting in the Lord, regardless of what the test results say. We honestly hope to have negative test results. But we also recognize that us knowing would be better for Spencer if he does have cystic fibrosis.

3 comments:

  1. I hope everything goes well. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when Noah was tested for CF. I was a nervous wreck waiting for the results to come back and was so very relieved it came back negative that I still cried. Even with the chances being small its still a scary thought. I will keep you all in my prayers and hope it comes up negative and its just the allergies. We love you! Spencer is such a cutie. I love that picture of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad he doesn't have it!!! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete